SouthWest Kansas Area Agency on Aging

240 San Jose Drive
PO Box 1636
Dodge City, Kansas 67801
United States
view phone1-800-742-9531 or 620-225-8230
view fax 620-225-8240
Visit Website

Is this your listing?

Contact this Listing


SWKAAA Services
Case Management is an inclusive look at a person's needs and resources, linking him or her to a full range of appropriate services, using all available funding sources and monitoring the care provided over an extended period of time. Its purpose is to ensure that older Kansans are made aware of the options to community-based long term care services and to facilitate the coordination of these services on their behalf. For further information contact SWKAAA's Case Management Department.

SWKAAA provides funding for a variety of in-home care services aimed at keeping older Kansans in their homes as long as possible. These programs may include personal care, homemaker services, respite care, chore services, and a host of other life supporting services. If you are finding it difficult to continue to care for yourself or your home, or know of someone who may benefit from this program, call us.

This service provides confidential help with personal problems, information about available services and referrals to the agencies that can best help. Trained Information & Assistance volunteers are located throughout SWKAAA's service area to provide assistance to older individuals and adult children taking care of their parents who may have questions or need assistance.

Older & Bolder is a 20 page large print newspaper published six times a year. It contains articles on benefits and other subjects of interest to the older population. Persons age 60 and over residing in SWKAAA's service area can receive this paper by request. Others may receive the paper by paying a $7.00 yearly fee. Donations to help with the cost of producing the paper are accepted.

This program will provide an opportunity for the aging network to respond to the needs of the caregiver. SWKAAA will provide information and assistance to a family caregiver or other individuals who care for an older individual and support to grandparents raising grandchildren. There are many programs of the Agency which may currently be accessed and used by caregivers.

Home-delivered meals for the homebound and meals served at senior centers are available through Friendship Meals of Southwest Kansas. Persons age 60 and over may request delivery of their meal if they are homebound because of illness, disability or are otherwise isolated. Volunteers deliver meals. For other older Kansans, eating together at a meal center provides fun and fellowship, as well as a nutritious meal. A wide range of opportunities for volunteer service is available also. The meals served are Heartwise; that is, they meet guidelines from the American Heart Association for a heart healthy diet. Friendship Meals is funded by participant contributions, support from local communities, and by a grant from SWKAAA. The program is sponsored by ElderCare, Inc.

Rent assistance is available to very low-income households through the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. SWKAAA provides this service under the auspices of the Ford County Housing Authority.

Qualified families or individuals rent an existing house, duplex, apartment or mobile home from a private owner. The assisted tenant pays approximately 30% of their monthly adjusted income towards rent. SWKAAA guarantees payment of the remaining portion based on the fair market rent determined by HUD.

SWKAAA contracts with the Kansas Rural Legal Services (KRLS) for the provision of legal counseling and representation to persons over the age of 60 living in Southwest Kansas. Types of cases that can be handled by the KRLS are income maintenance (Social Security, food stamps, etc.), housing cases, Medicare & Medicaid insurance claims, consumer cases and wills. KRLS CANNOT accept "fee-generating cases," or those cases that could result in a fee for legal services from an award to a client, from public funds, or from the opposing party.

Technical assistance from qualified staff of the Area Agency on Aging is available to local groups and organizations upon request. Some areas of assistance are:

Finding and developing community resources at the local level.
Application for tax exempt and nonprofit corporation status.
Establishing a senior center and/or meals prram.
Establishing local programs such as home care or handyman services.
Almost any area relating to the development of services to a community's senior citizens.
Contact SWKAAA for further information.

The 1982 Kansas Legislature established the formation of a Silver Haired Legislature consisting entirely of individuals 60 years and older who advocate on issues effecting all older Kansans. SWKAAA is responsible for the election process and providing logistical support to the delegates in Southwest Kansas.

The ADRCs serve as high-profile, trusted places in every community where people of all ages, incomes and disabilities can go to get information on the full range of long-term support options available to them. One of those services will be helping people to choose their KanCare provider, or their Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) provider. The long term goal of the ADRC after KanCare is implemented is to assist older individuals, individuals with disabilities, caregiver and others planning for future long-term care services and supports.

The Kansas ADRC consist of three basic services:

1. Information/Referral/Assistance

2. Functional eligibility determination for Medicaid Services

3. Options Counseling

Most of the information and referral services will be handled thru the ADRC Call Center located in Wichita - 1-855-200-ADRC (2372). If a person needs additional assistance about selecting their managed care organizations (MCO) or services specific to their area, a warm transfer will be made to the ADRC/AAA for further assistance.

Dodge City Office
(620) 225-8230 FAX: (620) 225-8240
240 San Jose Drive
Dodge City, Kansas 67801

Liberal office
(620) 624-2255 FAX: (620) 624-2675
150 Plaza Drive, Suite H
Liberal, KS 67901

Pratt office
(620) 672-2148 FAX: (620) 672-2120
1219 E. 1st., Suite F Pratt, KS 67124

Great Bend Office
(620) 793-6633 FAX: (620) 793-7435
1905 Washington
Great Bend, KS 67530

ADRC Toll Free Number:
1-855-200-ADRC (2372)